Wednesday 12 April 2017

Art Journal Prompts - Week 15: Vintage

Good Morning All.

This weeks prompt was Vintage.

Although I have done many mixed media pieces in the past most of them have been about the aged distressed look rather than the aged vintage look so this was a slightly new area for me.

I found a nice old fashioned vintage page to use for my background and this gave me an overall colour scheme for my page.  Normally when people think of vintage they tend to go towards browns and sepias and as they are my normal colours I wanted to try something different.  Other than my background I wasn't really sure about how to approach this, so I started of by having a look through my stash of ephemera and looking on Google for vintage photos of people.

As soon as I saw the picture of the family females I knew that it would marry up perfectly with the Family Record ephemera that I had, and things just moved from there.

As this is a fairly simple page again today there aren't any step by step pictures.


Materials
Ranger Archival Ink Pad - Black, Blue
The Works Wooden Swirls
DecoArt Acrylic Paint - Pthalo Turquoise
DecoArt White Gesso
DS Tape
Tacky Glue
Silicone Glue
Vintage Ephemera
Small paper flowers

Cut your background paper to fit your journal page and stick it in.

Dry brush the page with white gesso (if you add too much in one place, use your finger to spread it out).

Cut out your vintage photo and using the ds tape stick it to some parchment coloured paper. 

Rip the parchment paper to create a rough frame around the image, then edge using the blue archival.

Edge your remaining ephemera alternatively using the black and blue archival.

Paint the wooden swirls with two coats of the Pthalo Turquoise and allow to dry.

Layer up your design sticking everything down with the ds tape except the wooden swirls and the flowers.  Glue the swirls down using the tacky glue, and the paper flowers with the silicone glue.

Any questions or comments please leave them below.

In some of my upcoming posts I will be showing you some pictures of some of my past makes so you can see some of the kind of things you can produce.

Good Bye Until Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment