Monday 30 January 2017

Art Journal Prompts: Week 1 - Word For The Year

Good Morning All

I recently joined a new group on Facebook called Art Journal Prompts (you can find them Here).  The group is a year long journey in art journalling; each week the host provides a new prompt for you to create a page with, which is then posted to the group.  They leave the prompts completely open to your interpretation as to what they mean.  Just from what I have seen so far there are so many different wonderful interpretations of the same prompt; and I'd like to share mine with you.

As I started this blog after I had already completed my first page there isn't a step by step for this one, but I do have a picture and I will give a brief explanation of what I did.

The prompt for this week was Word For The Year.  I choose Explore as my word, as this year I am embarking on an exploration of my art; I'm trying to take in and make use of as many different styles and types of art as I can so that I can learn and grow.


This is my interpretation of that word.


I will give you a list of the materials I used and links to where you can find them (where possible) before I start the explanation.


For all my Art Journal Prompts pages I am using a Daylor Rowney A5 Ebony Sketch Book

12x12" Chinese Print Paper

Well Worth It - Vintage Ephemera
Poundland 26 Celtic Letter Stamp Set
Wilko 52 Letter Stamp Set
Hunkydory - Vintage Map Paper
Sheena Douglas A Little Bit Magical "The Quest"
Portfolio Series Water Soluble Oil Pastels 
Daylor Rowney Oil Pastels
Ranger Distress Ink Pad - Vintage Photo
Range Archival Ink Pad - Jet Black

To make this page I cut down the Chinese paper and inked around it with the vintage photo distress ink before sticking it down with High Tack Double Sided tape.

I stamped the man image on kraft card using the Archival ink and gave it a waft with the heat gun to set it and make sure that I didn't smear the image.  Once it was dry I coloured it in using the Portfolio pastels and some water to give that slightly dreamy look.  I used the normal oil pastels to go back in and add some accents to the watered pastels just to give it a bit more life.

To distress the map page I tore around the edges to bring it down to the size that I wanted, and expose some of the white underneath the printed image.  When it was the right size I inked around the edges with the vintage photo.  I went quite heavy on  the distressed areas to really make them stand out.

I followed a similar path for the dictionary definition but used a distressing tool instead to age the edges.  This and all of the remaining images were also edged with the vintage photo ink.

To assemble each of the elements were layered up and stuck down with High Tack Double Sided tape.

To finish I stamped the words using the archival and the letter stamps, and wrote my quote using a Uni-ball Pin Drawing Pen size 8

Hope this explanation gives you an idea of how I put everything together.

Good Bye Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment